Auburn Bicycle Club
Date: ca 1890s Size: 470x328 pixels
The time was right in the Gay Nineties for a bicycle club in Auburn.  The high wheeler, with its large front wheel and small back one, had been replaced by a safety model with wheels the same size.  Air-filled rubber tires had been around since 1890.  Therefore, fresh air, exercise, and pleasure seekers such as George Petrie, fourth from left, and B.B. Ross, sixth from left, organized a group of riders.  The club eventually built a bicycle path from where Gay Street ended at Samford Avenue to Wright's Mill (Chewacla Park).  Others in front of the McElhaney House were, from left: Charles Ross, Bob Trammell, J.M. Stedman, Mrs. Petrie (who with her husband had ridden a tandem bike on part of their honeymoon trip in Virginia), A. Foster McKissick with daughter Ellison in basket, and John J. Wilmore.  The pet dog was muzzled.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image