ASTP soldiers at drill in the Quad
Date: 1944 Size: 470x306 pixels
Soldiers lived in the Women's Quadrangle in 1943-44, receiving instruction at Auburn under the Army Specialized Training Program.  Naval trainees occupied Alumni Hall and called the dormitory a "ship," its floors "decks," and its walls "bulkheads."  They also "went ashore" and "reported aboard."  Displaced female students moved into fraternity houses, where occupancy had been sharply reduced by the call to military service, and the remaining frat members found lodging elsewhere.  Coeds also moved into Auburn Hall, formerly a men's dorm.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image