Alumni Gymnasium Dedication
Date: 1916 Size: 470x351 pixels
Some sixteen hundred people attended the dedication of the new Alumni Gymnasium on February 22, 1916.  President C.C. Thach (at lectern, lower left), welcomed visitors, including Governor Charles Henderson and delegates from University of Alabama, University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson College, and Gordon Institute.  Alumni raised approximately $50,000 to pay for the building.  Auburn varsity basketball teams played in this facility until moving to the Sports Arena in 1948.  Students and townspeople flocked to the gym over the years to hear speakers from far and wide--including Will Rogers--and the basketball court served as the dance floor for many a formal for three decades.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image