Deans Katherine Cater and Jim Foy
Date: 1967 Size: 470x366 pixels
Any definition of The Auburn Spirit would of necessity include these blithe characters, Katharine C. Cater and James E. Foy, shown pedaling on campus in 1967 after the University bought a few bicycles-built-for-two for student recreation.  Deans Cater and Foy were among the most popular faculty members with students during their long tenures.  She served as dean of women from 1946 to 1976, then almost four years as dean of student life and social director.  Dean Cater became one of the few University employees to have a building named in her honor when in 1980, a few months before her death, she attended ceremonies during which the Social Center became Katharine Cooper Cater Hall. Foy served as dean of student affairs from 1950 until his retirement in 1978.  The Student Union promptly was renamed James E. Foy Union.  Two years after going to Montgomery to serve in Governor Fob James's administration, Foy and his wife, Emmalu, were back in Auburn, engaged in affairs of Phi Eta Sigma national freshman scholastic honor society.  Foy served as national secretary or national secretary-treasurer from 1953 through 1992.  Mrs. Foy served as local office manager.  Foy's father, Erle, majored in electrical and mechanical engineering at Auburn in 1896-1900.  As a senior, Erle Foy was editor-in-chief of the Orange and Blue and captained API's baseball team.  A right-handed pitcher, he beat Alabama twice in two days.  His catcher told Jim Foy years later that Erle's curve ball "curved all the way from third base."
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image