Gov. "Big Jim" Folsom inaugurates Dr. Draughon as API Pres.
Date: 1949 Size: 470x329 pixels
Alabama Governor James E. Folsom (left) installed Dr. Ralph B. Draughon as Auburn's tenth president in May 1949.  The trustees had named Draughon acting president after Dr. L.N. Duncan's death and named him president in October 1948.  At the installation ceremony, Trustee Frank P. Samford, Sr., sat at the viewer's far left.  Dr. Frank B. Davis, at right, grand marshal at commencements for many years, wore saddle oxfords.  Construction was proceeding on the stadium's east stands.  Draughon, third alumnus to serve as president, guided Auburn in the growth-packed years after World War II from being API to being Auburn University.  In Draughon's seventeen years as president, Auburn awarded 11,153 more degrees (including its first doctorates) than in its previous ninety years.  This president engaged in an unending struggle for funds needed to take care of growing enrollment.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image