Homecoming
Date: 1941 Size: 470x262 pixels
A festive Homecoming crowd of 15,000--largest ever assembled for a football game at Auburn--roared in approval as Coach Jack Meagher's Plainsmen whipped Clemson, 28-7, on November 29, 1941.  Eight days later the nation was at war, and many of the young men in this picture shortly became members of the military.  Elements of the cadet corps are shown assembled behind the Field House (Petrie Hall) and on the baseball diamond (upper right) before marching onto the football field.  The Auburn skyline consisted of Samford Hall, the water tower behind Toomer Drugstore, and the college smokestack.  Just to the right and northeast of the Field House is Tichenor Hall, completed in 1940 and known as "new building" for more than a decade before being named for Auburn's third president.  The Quadrangle at upper right, completed just in time for 1940 fall occupancy, housed 404 of the 700 women students that semester.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image