First car registered on campus
Date: 1938 Size: 470x452 pixels
This model A was the first student car to be registered on campus, and it was assigned tag No. 1 in 1938.  Its owner, one of a lucky few students with a car in those days, paid a registration fee of fifty cents.  In 1994-95, students paid fifteen dollars a year for campus automobile registration, and they registered 13,794 of them.  They also bought tags for 296 motorcycles and 1,766 bicycles.  Faculty, staff, and emeritus faculty members registered 5,282 cars at a cost of thirty dollars for most, but fifteen dollars for those of retirees and some staff members.  The University issued 62,000 tickets for parking violations to students, faculty, and staff members during the year.  That was almost six tickets for each of the 10,600 parking spaces on campus.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image