Solution to the post-war housing shortage:  tugboat cabins
Date: 1946 Size: 470x287 pixels
Tugboat deckhouses on campus?  That's right--ninety-three of 'em.  Two male students lived in each one during the post-World War II housing crisis.  They bunked upstairs, studied downstairs, and showered in a nearby bathhouse.  Life magazine featured Auburn's war-surplus deckhouses to show how colleges were coping with the shortage of living quarters.  The cabins were light blue-gray, 17 feet long, 7 feet wide, 7 feet high, and with a 7x7 pilot house for the upstairs.  These stood on West Samford Avenue, across Donahue Drive from the USDA Tillage Lab and at about the same spot where the Educational TV complex later was built.  In 1949, the university sold them to a businessman for a total of $1,860.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image