The WAPI Orchestra
Date: ca. 1925 Size: 470x312 pixels
The WAPI Orchestra filled many hours for Auburn station listeners in the mid-1920s.  Two 200-foot towers south of the campus also beamed weather, farm and market news, and lectures from Comer Hall.  Most members of the orchestra were students, but Sarah M. Tidmore was pianist, Mary D. Askew (third from left) violinist, and API Band Director Bedie Bidez (at Mrs. Askew's left) saxophonist.  The station was started and operated by the Agricultural Extension Service to provide information and entertainment to farm families.  Home demonstration agents organized listening parties.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image