War Eagle
Date: 1930 Size: 470x327 pixels
Auburn's greatest football cry, War Eagle, took on feathered form in 1930 when this golden eagle was found on a farm near Auburn entangled in thick pea vines.  Bought for ten dollars by local businessmen, the eagle was turned over to the A-Club.  Cheerleaders DeWit Stier (left) and Harry "Happy" Davis, later executive secretary of the Alumni Association, helped care for the new mascot, which quickly proved a good omen.  Auburn hadn?t beaten a Southern Conference football foe in four seasons until the eagle attended the 25-7 victory over South Carolina at Columbia in the last game of 1930.
Thumbnail   Small Image   Full Image